May's Athlete Of The Month
Time to highlight one of our spectacular athletes! What makes up an Athlete of the Month? Not RX’ing every workout or lifting the most weight. This athlete exhibits consistency and a hard work mentality. Every time they come to the gym they have a good attitude and give their all. This person is also welcoming of others, helping make H Dub the best community there is. Each month we choose a different athlete and post some fun facts about them to help y’all get to know them better!
Congrats goes to Astin Donovan! Astin came to us only a few months ago but she feels like she has been apart of the H Dub family for years. She is a hard worker who is always ready to get down on some fitness with a smile on her face. Although she played softball in college, one would have guessed gymnastics because she may have the best looking toes-2-bar in the gym! Learn more about Astin in her questionnaire below:
Name: Astin Donovan
Hometown: Guilford, CT
Occupation: Interior design / graphic design
Tell us a little bit about yourself:
- Originally from CT, I moved to Nashville after finishing college in Tampa. I moved with a “why not” mindset to see a new place, meet new people and see what could come from it. Despite it being a city, I feel it can have a small town feel to it as I have found myself running into people I know more often than not. It’s been almost 4 years and I couldn’t imagine any other place to be at this point as it has helped my creativity come to life. I am a big family person, I love a road trip and will take the opportunity to take the long way on the backroads any day.
What were your goals when you started training?
- Coming from college athletics I wanted a similar style of lifting and cardio but with a team-like atmosphere. I wasn’t sure if that existed. I found crossfit to be a really encouraging, fun environment. Because the workouts are challenging you find you are surrounded by people with a similar mindset. You realize you’re not the only one who woke up at 6am to willingly do a bunch of wall balls and burpees (even though you certainly question it at the moment).
How long have you been at H Dub and how did you get into it?
- I joined H Dub in January of this year when I was looking for a welcoming community that I could build a good sweat with. H Dub has fit that mold really nicely.
What is your favorite/least favorite thing we do in training? - I am really not a burpee person but love anything gymnastics!
How has H Dub positively affected you?
- H Dub has brought me people I look forward to seeing when I go. I can always rely on having a good laugh and it's helped me plan my day around my gym time.
What advice do you have for newcomers?
- You may feel intimidated by the movements, workouts and weights at first, but rest assured everything can be modified or lightened if needed. You will find you are surrounded by people who care about you and your individual goals, not people who are looking to judge your performance.
What is something no one at the gym knows about you?
- I played on the US Women’s National Softball team
Who are 3 people you would have a meal or drink with dead or alive?
- Brene Brown, Bob Goff, Milo Ventimiglia
If you had an intro song when you walk into the gym what would it be?
- That’s All She Wrote by T.I.
If you could have one super power what would it be?
- Super stretchy like Mrs. Incredible
What is your favorite thing to eat?
- A classic cheeseburger